Ms. Staphany Lopez is the coordinator of OMSA (what’s that? It’s the office of multicultural student affairs!) educate yourself. She came to tell us about Hispanic Heritage Month and the events (insert hyperlink) they will be hosting including having Pulitzer prize-winning author, Sonia Nazario as a guest speaker on October 12. RSVP aqui
Reports on Old/New Biz
- Full chartering* granted to the United Students Association (all about diversity, unity & leadership) Embrey Student Leadership Initiative x Human Rights program and Not On My Campus (about random strangers on campus…yeah, no…not on this campus!). The Computer science club and mustang ski and snowboard club (because theres so much snow in Texas) received temporary chartering. And Senate revoked chartering for AMF, FCA, Phi Sigma Phi National Honor Frat, and Women in Business…don’t ask me why.
*chartering means an approved student organization on campus
- Law schools going to New Orleans-only funding to send half the team. Texas society of professional engineers not funded because they didn’t comply with Finance’s 15 day rule. Ultimate frisbee - cut down miscellaneous costs. SMU club golf missed budget because of turnover. Indian student association funded in full as it was a cultural event.
- announces that focus is shifting from internal reconstruction to the student body and that South Quad may be getting some renovations (at least, we hope), and oh! How could I forget- we are also trying to get better quality toilet paper…
- Not on My Campus is having an event tomorrow at the flagpole!
Vice Prez Fletcher
- Campus resource spotlight: confidential resources caps in health center (counseling psych service) chaplain upstairs.
- Working toward increasing awareness of the Heigi Family Career Center
- Wellness week is happening soon! It raises awareness of resources at smu… Will be focused on mental wellness. Calendar is being made to get students involved and will be launching soon!
- Announces Senate MAY be getting new seats soon.. stay tuned to find them out!
- Rumor has it there are plans to renovate/demolish Florence Hall.
Update on voter drive: we registered over a hundred voters so far. We have one more event in the commons.
There are two Senate seats open! Cox and Simmons. Apply! (insert hyperlink) You know you want to.
The fall scholarship form is up and the deadline is October 31. Transfers and freshman are ineligible because of gpa requirements.
Relay for life pooch smooch booth next Wednesday and Thursday at flagpole in support for Relay for Life! Stop by, grab some food and play with puppies! (best combo ever)